Find Us

Wanlockhead Village

Museum of Lead Mining
Wanlockhead Village
Dumfries and Galloway
ML12 6UT

Museum of Lead Mining

Wanlockhead is recognised for its Miner’s Library, the second oldest subscription Library in Scotland and indeed Europe and was established ‘...for our mutual improvement.' on the 1st November 1756 with 32 men. The Library was funded by subscriptions from the Miners, but a contribution was also made by mining companies too in order to encourage ‘self-improvement’ in the miners.