Wanlockhead is recognised for its Miner’s Library, the second oldest subscription Library in Scotland and indeed Europe and was established ‘...for our mutual improvement.' on the 1st November 1756 with 32 men. The Library was funded by subscriptions from the Miners, but a contribution was also made by mining companies too in order to encourage ‘self-improvement’ in the miners.
Museum of Lead Mining
Admissions and Opening Times
The Museum will reopen in April!