Wanlockhead is recognised for its Miner’s Library, the second oldest subscription Library in Scotland and indeed Europe and was established ‘...for our mutual improvement.' on the 1st November 1756 with 32 men. The Library was funded by subscriptions from the Miners, but a contribution was also made by mining companies too in order to encourage ‘self-improvement’ in the miners.
Museum of Lead Mining
The Museum of Lead Mining looks forward to welcoming you.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information on accessibility.
Dedicated accessible parking is available on site.
Access to our sites
- The main entrance to the Visitor Centre is accessed by both stairs and a ramp from the carpark. Light levels inside the Visitor Centre entrance/Shop are good. Background music is sometimes played.
- The Miner's Cottages are 350 yards from the Visitor Centre. Access is level. Light levels are good. A tour guide is available to audio describe.
- The Library is 100 yards from the Visitor Centre up a steep hill. Access is up a gradient. Light levels are low. A tour guide is available to audio describe. The displays include an audio presentation.
- The Mine is 50 yards from the Visitor Centre. Access is over uneven ground. Light levels inside the mine are VERY low. Due to health and safety constraints, unfortunately there is no access to the Mine for: wheelchairs or push chairs; and people with mobility issues, low vision, or those under 5 years.
Access to the Museum galleries
- The Museum galleries are on one level, leading directly from the entrance/Shop
- Light levels vary
- An audioscape plays in the background.
Access to the Tearoom
The Tearoom can be accessed by a set of stairs from the entrance/shop, or via level access from the carpark. Light levels are good.
Other services, resources and facilites
- Some seating is available in the Museum, Cottages and Library buildings.
- Accessible toilets next to Visitor Centre with Baby changing facilities.
- Assistance dogs are welcome at our sites, with the exception of the Mine.
- A concession rate is available.