Almond Valley's Recognised collection celebrates Scotland's pioneering shale oil industry, and includes objects illustrating mining, retorting and refining processes, the products of the industry, and how they were marketed. The museum archive holds the surviving official records of the shale oil companies.
Almond Valley Heritage Trust
Almond Valley welcomes you!
Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information on accessibility.
- Free parking is available on site.
- Blue badge holder spaces are available.
Almond Valley Heritage Centre
- There is level access to the front door.
- There is level access to the entrance/shop where light levels are medium.
- Other than a tiny area downstairs in one of the mill buildings, all of Almond Valley is wheelchair and buggy accessible.
- Light levels are medium throughout the buildings.
- Some outdoor pathways can be uneven and/or wet/muddy.
The Museum of the Scottish Shale Oil Industry
- There is level access to the Museum galleries.
- Light levels are medium to low.
- There is a replica mine shaft with a moderate incline, where light levels are very low.
- There are accessible toilets on site: in the toilet block outside the main building opposite the Tearoom entrance; inside the Tearoom, and by the mill.
- Baby changing facilites are available.
- There is level access.
All dogs are welcome throughout the site, with the exception of Morag's Tearoom where only assistance dogs are welcome. There are two picnic barns and lots of other outside areas where you are welcome to take a break with your dog!
Ffree admission to an accompanying carer when you would not be able to visit without one-to-one support.