The 'Gartsherrie' was the world's first mechanical coal cutter to use cutting teeth mounted on a chain, making it the prototype for the standard type of coal cutting machine over more than a century.
The machine was developed by the Scottish ironmasters William Baird and Co and built at the Sunnyside Engine Works near their Gartsherrie Iron Works in Coatbridge.
The Gartsherrie coal cutter was ultimately unreliable and was taken out of production after about 15 years. In 1882 the Sunnyside Engine Works was taken over by Andrew Lamberton for his new engineering works. The building still towers over Coatbridge Sunnyside Station.