Machine toolsplate edge planer
Plate edge planer
The Women’s Royal Naval Service (WRNS) was founded in 1917 to assist with the war effort. Women joined the service as cooks, stewards, sail makers, and intelligence workers. Despite their worthwhile contribution, the service was disbanded after the war, but in 1939 they were reformed. The number of roles available to the WRNS was also increased, including roles at sea and at the Government’s Code and Cypher School at Bletchley Park, breaking the secret codes of enemy forces.
It was not until 1993 that women were fully integrated into the Royal Navy, and were able to serve on ships at sea, at all ranks and rates.
This tricorn hat belonged to Lieutenant Commander Patricia “Trish” Kohn, who became one of the first female officers to be awarded command of her own ship.