This fog cannon was used on the original wooden North Carr Lightvessel between 1887-1933 until the vessel was replaced and decommissioned. In foggy weather the cannon would be used to alert other vessels of their proximity to the North Carr Rocks. As the vessel had no engine - essentially being a manned buoy - they were also useful for avoiding ship to ship collisions. The cannon were earmarked for use on the new North Carr vessel in 1933 but found to be unpractical. The 1933 vessel is currently in the Victoria Docks, Dundee.