B&W negative copied in 1990 from official albums then held at Grangemouth refinery.
Diesel locomotives were first introduced underground in shale mines c. 1940 and are known to have been used at Philipstoun, Burngrange and Fraser pits. This underground scene at Fraser pit shows a train hauled by a Ruston & Hornsby 13hp locomotive, possibly 213857 of 1942. It shows a roadway with a low roof; possibly so low as to restrict horse haulage. Fraser pit closed in 1951.