Shipbuilding, British National Antarctic Expedition 1901-1904, Discovery Construction
The New House was the last building to be added to the township, in 1954. It is a type of building known as a ‘timber house’. Large numbers of these were constructed in the mid-20th century (and later) to provide housing for factory, farm and forestry workers. It is the only house in the township with a garden containing flowers - the rest had ‘kailyards’, used for growing food.
The family for whom the New House was built had been living in Eddie’s House, a traditional longhouse. In 1954, the Council informed the Argyll Estate that this was not fit for habitation, because it had no hot running water, bathroom or flush lavatory.
The Estate built the New House, prefabricated in Kent by WH Colt, Son & Co. Ltd, as a replacement.