Steam Crane Locomotive
Built in 1891 at Neilson & Co, Hyde Park Works at Springburn in Glasgow, this was a typical Scottish freight locomotive from the late 19th and early 20th century. This locomotive class was designed by Matthew Holmes in 1888 for general freight duties.
The 18" diameter cylinders were larger than most of the other NBR locomotives of the time, and the design was so successful that 168 examples had been built by 1900. No.673 was rebuilt at Cowlairs in 1915, and sent with 24 others of the same Class to support the Army in France. After its return to Scotland in 1919, No.673 was named ‘Maude’ after Lieutenant General Sir Fredrick Stanley Maude.
‘Maude’ worked freight duties only throughout its 75 year service and was withdrawn from Bathgate Shed in 1966 as diesel locomotives began to replace steam engines.