Eddie’s House is typical of the 19th century longhouses in Auchindrain. A 1789 plan of the township shows a building on this site, but the current longhouse probably dates from after the McCallum family arrived in 1829.
Three generations of Eddie McCallum (for whom the building is named) lived in this house, until the family moved to the New House in 1954. It consists of a ‘house’ end (containing the Kitchen, Room and Closet) and 'byre’ end. All of the rooms, except the byre, were also used as bedrooms. The byre was where the McCallum family’s cattle were kept in winter. Milk, butter and cheese were an important source of protein for the people of the township.
Generations of the township's children carved their initials on the outside of the door at the byre end of the house, and these can still be seen there today.