A tour of the Scottish Maritime Museum at Irvine Harbourside, led by the colourful character, Betsy Miller, who was the first registered female sea captain.
This tour includes –
- Scottish Maritime Museum vast display of maritime exhibits. Arrive early to view the exhibits in the Linthouse and Puffers Café is open from 10am for refreshments prior to the tour.
- An introduction to Betsy Miller, first registered female ships captain who hailed from Saltcoats.
- A short walk to the ship workers tenement rooms and a look into the lifestyle of a 1920’s family hosted by Maggie MacIntosh
- An opportunity to sample Scottish infused rum at the Harbour Lights Inn (18’s & over, only) Non alcoholic ginger wine will be available for young seafarers and designated drivers.
- Free time to spend exploring the Harbourside, Irvine, beach park, pubs, restaurants, cafes & coffee houses. Also a chance to look at current exhibitions in the Harbour Arts Centre and watch the artists in action at the studios.
- You may return to the Scottish Maritime Museum at any time during the day with your visitors ticket, until closing.
Ticket price £20 per adult and £12 per child.
Starting in the Scottish Maritime Museum, Irvine. Meet at 2 pm – Tour commences at 2.15 pm. The tour lasts 2 hours and you have full access to the Maritime Museum before and after, all included in your ticket price.
Access is good and all on one level. Wheelchair users can be accommodated with prior notice.
A short walk is necessary as part of this tour.
The weather at the Harbourside can be changeable. Please ensure you have appropriate clothing for cold & possibly wet weather.